THE REGION AT THE GATES OF THE LUBERON IN PROVENCE
Banon – medieval village on a mountainside with remnants of the old castle’s ramparts and a bright blue sky. 3OO days of sunshine per year, magical landscapes with violet blue fields of lavender wildly growing in June and July, then harvested and distillated in a modern distillery in August, and the ancestral tradition of folding goat cheese in chestnut leaves. Simiane la Rotonde, Vacheres, Dauphin, Lurs, Ongles and its rock, Viens, Reillanne and Le Contadour are all villages with a rich cultural heritage and interesting architectural sights.
Luberon – Rustrel en its Colorado – outstanding sites with ochre landscapes where young and old can hike.
Apt – The town of candied fruit en of the Provençal Saturday market.
The villages Roussillon, Gordes, Bonnieux, and Fontaine de Vaucluse are national monuments.
Mont Ventoux – a mythical mountain for bike lovers with vineyards, lavender honey, lamb meat and son agneau, surrounded by Vaucluse villages : Sault, Montbrun les Bains, Bedoin, Carpantras, the Albion Plateau, the Gorges de la Nesque.
The hilltop villages of the Luberon: Take some altitude and discover the 11 hilltop villages and their atypical architecture such as Aurel, Gigondas or Blauvac which will offer you a breathtaking view of the mountain massifs of Provence.
THE MOUNTAIN OF LURE AND THE REGION OF FORCALQUIER –
Sacred secret mountain mountain,”triangle of light of Haute Provence”, the heart of forests, garrigues, of aromatic plants such as “gentian” protecting our Lady of Lure, St Etienne-les-Orgues, Cruis. Panoramic view over a thousand pleasant hikes accompanied by exceptional light.
The region of Forcalquier bathes in light and shines with the country side’s harmony of landscapes in beautiful colours, many different reliefs and hundreds of kilometres of trails for family hikings.
And even more places to visit…
A rich cultural heritage :
- Convent of the Cordeliers and Citadel of Forcalquier
- The Salagon’s Priory in Mane
- Sauvan’s Castle
- The of Ganagobie’s monastery
- Centre Jean Giono in Manosque
- The Penitents of the Mées (natural site)
A variety of activities :
- Flight in a hot-air balloon (departure Forcalquier)
- The lavender road between the Ventoux and the Luberon
- Agricultural fair in Ongles in August
- Harvest faire of Revest-du-Bion in August
- Classical music festival in Simiane in medieval tower “la Rotonde” in Juli-Augustus.
A little further away…
- The refreshment of the Verdon Gorges and lake.
- The intact natural surroundings of Esparon lake, the small creeks, the nautical base.
- The Citadel of Sisteron and the Durance
- Aix en Provence, rich in monuments, fountains and performances
- The bridge of Avignon, the Palais des Papes and the festivals.
- Carpentras, Cavaillon, St Rémy de Provence,
- Marseille and its rocky inlets